Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A Day of Celebration

After twenty years of on and off attending classes, writing assignments, and sitting for tests, I am finally attending the last class for a certificate course in religious studies this evening.

The course which is conducted at a Bible College for the School of Theology consists of sixteen units, broken down into the following subjects:

  • Old Testament (4 units)
  • New Testament (4 units)
  • Doctrine (2 units)
  • Missions (2 units)
  • Christian Education (2 units)
  • Electives (2 units)

At this end of the course, students will obtain the Certificate in Christian Studies.

Some people has asked me why I have taken up this course, since it does not add up to provide any transferable credits for a degree or higher course in any theological seminary, nor am I planning to become a lay leader, pastoral or full-time church staff. After all, it does not provide credits to greater spirituality or entry to heaven.

Well, don't ask me why. I take it because as a young Christian years back, that was my interest, and I don't like to do things half way or leave it uncompleted. It's a promise I want to keep with God, after completing my academic studies.

Just last year, after six years of anxiety, stuggle and many sleepless nights, I have finally completed my degree in media studies. Now is the time to 'pay back' what I have started to do a long time ago, and although there have been much inconveniences weekly in getting to the classes, it is all well worth it. My academic study is not wasted too, as it helped me hone my skills in preparing for the assignments in this course, and to obtain better grades.

This is a day for celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...