Sunday, January 23, 2005

How I came to be a Christian

I became a Christian when I was a secondary school student. As a librarian in a Catholic school, I had the opportunity to be sent to YMCA to learn some typing skills. While at YMCA, I picked up a brochure and found out about Christian correspondence courses that are available free, so I enrolled and got to know more about Christianity.

One day, while standing at the stairs of the National Library at Stamford, some students invited me to join them in their church's school club at the Bible House in Armenian Street, so I went with them. My first visit to the club was an evangelistic meeting and having known Christ through correspondence courses, I readily received Him there and then.

Becoming a Christian is not all smooth sailing. Coming from a 'buddist' family, I was persecuted and considered an outcast of the family who does not know his roots. In school, I was branded a 'holy cow' and was segregated from a circle of friends. It was not until several years later that people began to accept me for what I am, and even till this day there are still occurences of rejection from my family and relatives in situations such as a non-Christian funeral. All these 'sufferings' however are insignificant in comparison to the joy I receive when I trust Jesus to be my Lord and Saviour. Even when I stray away at times, God never for once stays away from me and when things seem humanly hopeless, He always puts in my heart a special calm that gives me confidence to go on.

Now after many years in the Christian faith, I have served the Lord in many areas, including ushering, church youth club leadership, cell group and worship leadership, counselling for several public Christian gospel conferences and other areas. I have also studied some theological studies part-time at FEBC and SBC in the past and wrote Christian teachings in church newsletters. As part of my interest in Christian research, I have also written a book on Church History many years ago for my Bible Study group.

Today, I am just a simple and ordinary Christian attending church regularly, whose heart is desiring to reach out to help others, and to share with mankind the inner peace that I've experienced in Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...